The Dutch acronym AVOM stands for ArbeidsVoorwaarden Op Maat, which translates as Tailor-made Terms of Employment. AVOM is based on the principle that you can agree with your employer to receive a lower salary for a set period or to give up your entitlement to a number of days' holiday leave (these are known as 'resources') in exchange for other benefits such as a bicycle or a higher travel allowance (these are known as 'objects'). You make additional agreements about your terms of employment and these are put down in writing.
AVOM has two resources:
- Holiday hours
- Gross salary
These allow you to purchase a range of objects:
- purchasing extra holiday hours;
- payment for holiday hours;
- (additional) commuter allowance and bicycle;
- study costs (reducing employee contribution);
- union-contribution and membership;
- life-course savings schema;
- saving leave for adjusted working hours.