Print this page
Earthing, what do I need to look out for?
Attaching an earth wire can prevent external parts from becoming charged.
- Each new experimental object must be checked for electrical safety by a qualified person.
- Experimental objects, metal parts (frames, cable conduits, laser tables, gas pipes, etc.) must be visibly earthed.
- Earth wires are either in a yellow/green sheath or are made of unprotected copper wire.
- Water, gas and central heating pipes may not be used for earthing purposes.
- In rooms with increased humidity all exposed metal parts must be visibly earthed.
- Special measures must be taken for measuring equipment where earthing is difficult (due to 'earth loops'). These measures may only be effected by a qualified person.