As of 1 January 2017 FOM is converted to NWO-I, the Institutes Organisation of NWO. Together with other NWO divisions FOM forms a new organisation, as part of the NWO Transition. FOM is divided into three parts: 'granting' has become part of the NWO Domain Science, another part has joined the Operations division and the staff supporting the institutes and university Work groups has become NWO-I, the Institutes Organisation of NWO. The NWO Institutes NSCR, NIOZ, ASTRON, CWI and SRON will become part of this organisation from 1 January 2018 onwards. All plans are currently studied by the work councils. For more information about the transition, please visit the NWO website as well.
The current funding instruments (as you know them from FOM) will remain unchanged for now, 2017 will be a transition year. From 1 August 2018 onwards, researchers will be able to submit proposals for two new funding instruments of the NWO Domain Science. Within this open competition there will soon be two domain-wide instruments for innovative and curiosity-driven fundamental research: one instrument for small-scale projects and investments and one for large-scale projects. Current funding instruments in the open competition close the 1st of May 2018. The NWO Domain Science Board has made extra funds available to ensure that this transition takes place as smoothly as possible and has initiated a transition regulation for the current funding instruments. This change fits within the NWO-wide simplification of the package of funding instruments, but only applies to the NWO Domain Science. During the course of 2018, the text of the call for proposals and the application forms for all these new funding instruments will become available via the NWO website. Grants will be awarded from 2019 onwards.
There is a transition regulation for the current funding instruments in the open competition of the NWO Domain Science. In 2018 one more round of the Physics Vrije Programma's will take place. The exact deadline of this is not known but the pre-proposal phase will not close before the end of February 2018. For the 'old' funding instruments, the grants will be awarded in 2018. The texts for the call for proposals for these instruments are already available or will be made available very soon via the NWO website.
Want to know more?
More information can be found on the NWO website.
For questions and comments about the 'old' funding instruments you can contact:
- Physics Projectruimte: Marieke van Santen, +31 (0)70 349 44 33, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Physics Vrije Programma's: Peter Spijker, +31 (0)30 600 12 28, email@example.com
- NWO Physics Industrial Partnership Programmes for research programmes in collaboration with industrial partners.
- NWO Physics Projectruimte (formerly FOM Projectruimte) funds small-scale projects in fundamental physics research that have an innovative character (includes information about current rounds and the applications awarded).
- Other NWO grants.
- EU and other grants provides information about grants from the European Union and other organisations outside of NWO.
- NWO also has two types of grants within the NWO Physics/f Programme.
- Valorisation projects for university workgroups.
- It is possible to request funding by NWO for organising events, such as congresses, symposa, workshops, study trips and exhibitions.
Code of conduct
Applicants for research grants must have full confidence that decisions will be taken without bias and without regard to personal interest. That is why NWO (we are still using the code made by FOM) has established a code of conduct. You can download the code of conduct in the upper right corner of this webpage.
NWO has a separate procedure for appealing against decisions about grant proposals. The 'Appeals Procedure' regulation (FOM version) can be downloaded from the upper right corner of this webpage.