NWO is an organization incorporated by public law and is part of the Dutch government. NWO's task is to promote research with scientific and societal impact. NWO-I is an independent foundation, and thus a separate legal entity, and not part of the government. NWO does however supervise NWO-I because of the importance of the scientific research that is carried out in it, and to monitor the integrity of NWO-I as a public benefit institution. To this end, board members of NWO have a seat in the Foundation Board of NWO-I without receiving benefits for these supervisory tasks.
The NWO-I Foundation Board is responsible for the operation of the NWO-I Institutes.
The NWO Executive Board - which forms a personal union with the NWO-I Foundation Board - is responsible for the integral strategy, mission and programming of the NWO Institutes.
Members of the NWO-I Foundation Board and the NWO Executive Board
- Prof. dr. Marcel Levi - president
- Drs. Caroline Visser - vice president
- Prof. dr. Jan de Boer - chair Domain Science
- Prof. dr. ir. Margot Weijnen - chair Domain Applied and Engineering Sciences
- Prof. dr. Irfan Ikram - president ZonMW, also member Executive Board NWO
Director NWO-I a.i.
Director of Operations NWO-I