NWO-I (Stichting Nederlandse Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek Instituten), the Institutes Organisation of NWO, is an independent foundation that falls under the Dutch Research Council (NWO). NWO-I manages nine national research institutes: AMOLF, ARCNL, ASTRON, CWI, DIFFER, Nikhef, NIOZ, NSCR and SRON. NWO-I is the employer of more than 1900 employees from nine institutes, the NWO-I office and the Administrative Unit for Research Groups at Universities (BUW). The NWO Institutes have national and international roles. NWO Institutes are national expertise centres, breeding grounds for scientific innovation and talent, a nexus in national and international research, and developers, or enablers of large infrastructure or datasets.
Research at NWO Institutes is driven by curiosity and societal challenges. Scientific and societal questions that are of national strategic importance require research with long-term commitment and the consolidation of multidisciplinary expertise and facilities. By carrying out groundbreaking, honest and excellent research that is accessible and transferable, NWO Institutes realise solutions with scientific and societal impact.
* AMOLF Physics of functional complex matter
* ARCNL Advanced Research Center for Nanolithography
* ASTRON Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy
* CWI Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica
* DIFFER Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research
* Nikhef National Institute for subatomic physics
* NIOZ Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research
* NSCR Netherlands Institute for the Study of Crime and Law Enforcement
* SRON Netherlands Institute for Space Research