DIFFER is an Institute that is part of NWO-I, the Institutes Organisation of NWO.
DIFFER's mission is to perform leading fundamental research in the fields of fusion energy and solar fuels, in close partnership with academia and industry. The institute aims to play facilitating role in organising fundamental energy research in the Netherlands. DIFFER is a key part of the NWO energy research strategy. It pursues four equally important goals to achieve its mission:
- DIFFER performs fundamental energy research and trains graduate and undergraduate students and technicians in the fields of fusion energy and solar fuels.
- The institute designs, develops and operates the high-quality technical infrastructure and large-scale experimental equipment needed to enable its novel research on solar fuels and its fusion research.
- DIFFER aims to acquire a national facilitating role in fundamental energy research, joining together the existing research initiatives in the Netherlands into one coherent national research programme. The institute strives for potential industrial applications and increased valorisation of energy research.
- The institute will set up strategic collaborations and joint research programmes with universities and large technological institutes.
Information about the DIFFER mission budget can be found here.
The annual reports of DIFFER
DIFFER on YouTube
Can seawater solve the energy problem of the world?
Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC)
The SAC advises the Board of NWO-I and the director of the Institute. The SAC has the following members:
- Prof.dr. G. van der Steenhoven (KNMI), chair
- Dr. C. Bourdelle (CEA Cadarache, France)
- Prof.dr. R. van de Krol (Institute for Solar Fuels, Germany)
- Dr. D. Lincot (IRDEP, France)
- Prof.dr. E. Stechel (Arizona State University)
- Dr. H.G. Werij (TNO)
secretary: Dr. M.P. Boneschanscher
Prof.dr.ir. M.C.M. van de Sanden
Communications adviser DIFFER
Gieljan de Vries