The Dutch acronym AVOM stands for ArbeidsVoorwaarden Op Maat, which translates as Tailor-made Terms of Employment. AVOM is based on the principle that you can agree with your employer to receive a lower salary for a set period or to give up your entitlement to a number of days' holiday leave (these are known as 'resources') in exchange for other benefits such as a bicycle or a higher travel allowance (these are known as 'objects'). You make additional agreements about your terms of employment and these are put down in writing.
AVOM has two resources:
- holiday hours;
- gross salary.
These allow you to purchase a range of objects:
1. purchasing extra holiday hours;
2. payment for holiday hours;
3. (additional) commuter allowance and bicycle;
4. study costs (reducing employee contribution);
5. union-contribution and membership;
6. life-course savings schema
7. Saving leave for adjusted working hours