NWO-I (Stichting Nederlandse Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek Instituten), the Institutes Organisation of NWO, is an independent foundation that falls under the Dutch Research Council (NWO). NWO-I manages nine national research Institutes: AMOLF, ARCNL, ASTRON, CWI, DIFFER, Nikhef, NIOZ, NSCR and SRON. NWO-I is the employer of more than 1.800 employees from nine institutes, the NWO-I Office and the Administrative Unit for Research Groups at Universities (BUW).
The NWO Institutes have national and international roles. NWO Institutes are national expertise centres, breeding grounds for scientific innovation and talent, a nexus in national and international research, and developers, or enablers of large infrastructure or datasets.
Research at NWO Institutes is driven by curiosity and societal challenges. Scientific and societal questions that are of national strategic importance require research with long-term commitment and the consolidation of multidisciplinary expertise and facilities. By carrying out groundbreaking, honest and excellent research that is accessible and transferable, NWO Institutes realise solutions with scientific and societal impact.
Relationship with NWO
NWO-I is part of the Dutch Research Council. NWO facilitates scientific research with scientific and societal impact. Further information about funding can be found at www.nwo.nl.
Organisation units of NWO-I
The following organisation units are part of NWO-I:
Nine NWO Institutes
- AMOLF - Physics of functional complex matter
- ARCNL - Advanced Research Center for Nanolithography
- ASTRON - Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy
- CWI - Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica
- DIFFER - Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research
- Nikhef - National Institute of subatomic physics
- NIOZ - Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research
- NSCR - Netherlands Institute for the Study of Crime and Law Enforcement
- SRON - Netherlands Institute for Space Research
The NWO-I Office in Utrecht supports the NWO Institutes and the BUW with policy and strategy, personnel and support, financial administration and communication. The NWO-I Office connects the BUW and the nine NWO Institutes with the domain organisation of NWO.
University workgroups (BUW)
More than 200 university workgroups from the Administrative Unit University Research Groups (BUW) are part of NWO-I. Within the research groups, physics research takes place at the following (below) Dutch universities and knowledge institutions, until the former FOM projects still running have all been completed.
- EUR - Erasmus University Rotterdam
- LEI - Leiden University
- RU - Radboud University
- RUG - University of Groningen
- TUD - Delft University of Technology
- TU/e - Eindhoven University of Technology
- UT - University of Twente
- UU - Utrecht University
- UvA - University of Amsterdam
- VU - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- WUR - Wageningen University and Research
- MUMC - Maastricht University Medical Centre
Below you will find the organogram of NWO and NWO-I.
On 1 January 2017, the former FOM Foundation was transformed into NWO-I, the Institutes Organisation of NWO. Together with the other NWO units, FOM was transformed into a new organisation. The FOM office was split into three parts: one part (granting) went to NWO Domain Science, one part to the Operations Unit of NWO, and the part that supported the former FOM Institutes (AMOLF, ARCNL, DIFFER and Nikhef) and the university research groups (BUW) was transformed into the NWO-I office. The NWO Institutes ASTRON, CWI, NIOZ, NSCR and SRON were merged with this institutes organisation on 1 January 2018.