The entire regulation can be found in Implementing Regulations IR-1 Commuting expenses.
When you start employment at NWO-I, you will be awarded a commuting allowance. The monthly net allowance for the travel costs between your home and place of work is calculated according to the number of journeys made per week. If the distance between your home and place of work is less than 10 km, then you will receive an allowance of € 0.12 per km. If the distance between your home and place of work is 10 km or more, then you will receive an allowance of € 0.19 per km with a maximum distance of 30 km up to a maximum payment of € 170.
NWO-I establishes the number of kilometres between your home and place of work using the most recent version of the digital ANWB route planner, via the setting "fastest route" and with the setting "current traffic situation" switched off. At your request, NWO-I can decide to take the most usual route as the basis for the calculation instead of the fastest route.
A calculation rule from the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration states calculation must be done using 214 workdays per year (42.8 weeks).
The net allowance per month is: (single journey distance x € 0.19 x number of journeys per week) x 42.8 /12.
Via AVOM you can possibly receive an extra allowance for the other travel costs for commuting irrespective of the minimum and maximum travel distance.
When will the commuter allowance be adjusted?
- in the case of a definite change in the home address and/or place of work;
- in the case of a change to the number of journeys made per week;
- at your request due to a structural change in the road network between the home address and place of work or if the usual route deviates from the fastest route.
You should inform NWO-I of any change to your travel pattern as soon as possible, but in any case within four weeks after the date on which the change was made. Changes can be made in retrospect but no further back than 1 January of the calendar year concerned.
When will the commuter allowance be ended?
- when your contract ends;
- if for a reason other than a holiday it can be foreseen that no work will be done at the place of work for a period of two months.
- in the case of a continuous period of complete employment incapacity of one calendar month. The remuneration will be resumed with effect from the first day of the subsequent calendar month in which the change took place.
For questions about commuting allowance, please contact your Personnel Officer or the payroll section of the P&O Department NWO-I . You can also send an email to Sfirstname.lastname@example.org.