Print this page

Commuting allowance

When you join NWO-I, you can receive an allowance for travel costs between home and place of employment. NWO values sustainability and for this reason the commuting allowance distinguishes between sustainable and non-sustainable travel. The choice is yours.

To encourage sustainable travel, commuting by public transport is fully reimbursed. Employer NWO-I will provide a 2nd class public transport card (NS Business card) to the employee who chooses this option.

In addition, employees who commute by bicycle, on foot or by a zero-emission means of transport, or carpool at least half of the number of working days, will receive 21 cents per kilometer with a maximum of 188 euros per month.

When the work location cannot be conveniently reached by public transportation, the employee is entitled to a car allowance of 21 cents per km with a maximum of 188 euros per month. This is the case, for example, when the one-way journey by public transport takes one and a half hours or more while it is at least 30 minutes faster by private transport. A complete list of grounds can be found in Article 3.5 of the implementing regulation.

Employees who do not wish to use public transport, a bicycle or a zero-emission means of transport and do not fall under one of the reasons given in Article 3.5 of the implementing regulation are eligible for the so-called low kilometer allowance of 10 cents per kilometer with a maximum of 90 euros per month.

For travel by private transportation, a maximum of 30 kilometers per one-way trip will be reimbursed.

To determine reimbursement, a travel expense inventory form must be submitted. This form can be obtained from the HR department at your work location.

When there is no fixed travel pattern per week, no fixed reimbursement can be granted. To these employees, reimbursement will be made on a claim basis. For more information about the declaration tool, we refer you to this webpage: Declaration tool for commuting expenses and working from home - NWO-I.

When is the commuting allowance adjusted?

  • In case of a (definitive) change of residence and/or place of employment.
  • In case of a change in the number of travel movements per week.
  • At your request in case of a structural change in the road network between home and place of employment or if the usual route deviates from the fastest route.

You must notify NWO-I of changes in travel patterns as soon as possible, but in any case within four weeks of the date of change. Changes work back a maximum of 1 January of the relevant calendar year.

When is the commuting allowance terminated?

  • On termination of employment.
  • If no work is foreseeably performed at the place of employment for a period of two months other than vacations.
  • In the event of an uninterrupted period of complete incapacity for work of one calendar month. Compensation is resumed as of the first day of the calendar month following that in which the change took place.

More information

More information can be found in the FAQ at the bottom of this page. If the answer to your question is not in here you can contact your P&O advisor or the P&O NWO-I payroll department. You can also send an email to

Confidental Infomation